LUIS M. VARGAS, PHD, PE, SE
Chief Bridge Engineer
Chief Bridge Engineer, Luis M. Vargas, PhD, PE, SE, is a distinguished leader in the design of concrete, steel, segmental and cable-stayed structures, light and heavy rail structures, below ground structures, and the repair, rehabilitation, and condition evaluation of bridges. He joined Bolton Perez & Associates, Inc. (BPA) in September 2016, and manages BPA’s Bridge Design team.
Dr. Vargas has an extensive portfolio of unique and significant projects, some of the more distinguished projects include: MDX SR 836 & NW 87th Avenue Interchange; I-595 Reconstruction P3, winner of the 2015 America’s Transportation Award, People’s Choice Award (AASHTO, AAA & U.S. Chamber of Commerce); Port Miami Tunnel & Access Improvements, winner of the 2015 America’s Transportation Award, Grand Prize and the People’s Choice Award (AASHTO, AAA & U.S. Chamber of Commerce); MIC-Earlington Heights Connector, winner of several awards such as the ENR’s 2013 Global Best Projects, 2013 PCI Design Award, 2013 ASBI Bridge Award of Excellence, and the 2013 FACERS Local & State Collab Award; and the SR 25/US 27 Okeechobee Road Underpass, winner of the 2008 FICE Engineering Excellence Award, and 2007 FTBA’s Design-Build Project of the Year.
- 33+ Years of Experience
- Registered Professional Engineer, State of Florida #46962
- Registered Professional Engineer, State of New York #69007
- NCEES Structural Engineer (SE)
- PhD Civil Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, 1988
- MS Civil Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, 1983
- CE Civil Engineering, Univ. Nacional de Ingeniería, 1981 (Lima, Perú)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Member